Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Music mayhem

Fête de la Musique this year was awesome. The music was mindblowing, and the emcee jobs at One Utama and Low Yat Main Stage weren’t as traumatic as expected; Prem and Jay were accommodating co-hosts who helped cover up my slip-ups and made sure their professionalism didn’t overshadow my otherwise second-rate onstage demeanor. I did not get pelted with fruits either, which in my opinion is a huge accomplishment in itself.

Despite the meltdown weather, I hadn’t had so much fun in ages. It was pure liberation to shed my corporate clothes, get lost inside an XXL tee, relive my blue-streaked days, catch up with old college mates and lead a mambo line down the city streets. Today I’ve still got a hoarse throat from screaming, aching neck from headbanging, sore legs from attempts to fly and a bad back from... maybe just eating bad tofu.

Emceeing with Prem @ One Utama
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A rather tanned Elmer Fudd and his wabbit
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The lads from Victoria Institution looking a little hungover
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

French world fusion group, Jabal
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tralala
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Jay, my brother from an Indian mother
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

DBKL cultural dancers awaiting their turn
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Didgeridoo player from the Asean Percussion Unit. Jay gave the instrument a shot and made it sound like the death knell of the Titanic.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Experimental tribal group Wwanao. I wwananao where they order their uniforms from.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Crowd @ Low Yat Plaza Main Stage
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mr. Sulay, the wicked lecturer who got me into this mess
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Brother Malcolm performing with his band, Greedy Jane @ the Sungai Wang stage. This was taken moments before I ran on stage and screamed down the mic, "MY BROTHER RAWKS DAMNIT!"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My little sis Stephanie was not amused.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My self-photo-taking skills have improved, my photogenic skills have not
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Prem slam-dunking his mic into the fluorescent basket hoop
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Quicktime Videos:
Victoria Institution Band
Wwannao
Jabal & the student crew Can-Can

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi would you or frens happen to have pics of sg wang fete de la musique on Sun nite?

6:05 PM  
Blogger Aeric said...

Looks like a hell of a time. Wish I could have gone.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey many thanks for being such a great MCeeeeeee! it was heaps fun rocking on with u all hehe
best regards ya
jeng jeng jeng jeng kerannnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg
(okies back to reality damns)

12:20 AM  
Blogger albert said...

You do not look like your brother and your brother does not look like you. But what do I know? I wanted to leave for dinner during One Buck Short but there were so many girls in the moshpit! I never did eat dinner that night.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG its been ages since i've seen sulay! i cant believe he's still there! are you still chief editor of the amflyer?

never in my life did i think i would say this, but i miss HELP

miss ya girl!
joy

4:10 PM  
Blogger Blake said...

That looked like a lot of fun. I felt like I was there.

Blake

8:49 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Babe, I soooo dig your blue streaked hair! So punk, I love it! :))

9:41 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

ray7,
thanks, your blog rocks too!

amakanchi,
sorry, not sure why you can't play the files. do you have the most updated version of quicktime? some of the pics cover the videos so no need to worry. pls send my love to melissa!

leona,
sorry, i don't have any pics of the sungei wang stage on sunday, (apart from the ones of Greedy Jane), but i've been told that pics will be posted soon at the HELP website.

aeric,
there's always next year :P

watermelonseed,
thanks, and thank you and your band for the awesome music, you really ripped the crowd up!

albert,
did i ever show you my pic on my old IC? if you covered my fringe it would look like him as a boy.

joy,
no way woman, i passed on the torch years ago. but HELP is a cool place, you appreciate it a lot more when you start working. Sulay just left last week to pursue his PhD in Oz, bless. miss you too :*/

the everglades,
it was cool, let's go partying soon.

muddy,
you should have met me in 2002/03, when that blue was for real :D

2:47 PM  
Blogger albert said...

Ah yes, that comment of mine took into account what you showed me before. :)

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home