Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Fann-cy the odds

Nicholas, my ensemble mate from Broken Bridges, was driving us to rehearsals in indecisive weather. Me feeling worn out as usual, my head remained glued to my seat as I gazed into clouds in hues of beige and grey, as they performed their motionless tango with invisible winds, my dreamscape interrupted with the occasional flash of arrogant palm tree.

My eyes trailed down to a lower angle until they were met with a familiar vision.

A fair Asian woman greeting a mirror, hair loosely pulled back, a makeup brush sweeping the high cheekbones of a bright, sweet morning face.

If I were rewarded the benefit of a 48-hour beauty nap prior to a date with Joaquin Phoenix, the fresh eagerness of applying blush in such a circumstance would have probably fit the bill for such an appealing ad.

In fact, it would have fit the bill too much for comfort.



Despite the woman's all-transending beauty contradicting my own, I could not help but wonder: Had someone used my face on a billboard without my consent? And if they did, how did they manage to get a retard posing in such a ladylike manner and amazingly cheat the power of mental recollection?

I had barely opened my mouth to voice out my curiosity when Nicholas got to it first.

"Hey, is that you?!?"

A few days later, I tried to approach my boyfriend about it, quite an obstacle for a woman whose only concise knowledge about roads in Malaysia are the ones situated within a two minute's driving radius from her house.

"Hey, do you know this... er... I'm not sure of the road but er... I think it's either called the NKVE or the LDP, i'm not sure... it's the highway that's between Eastin hotel and... my house? There's a bill-"

"Billboard that looks like you? YEAH. I passed it the other day and I almost wanted to tell you off for not telling me that you did it."

For it to fool even one who knows where to poke me for most comedic sound effect, curiosity dissolved and in its place, contempt for a girl of such audacity as to impersonate me for profitable gains and more insultingly, leave my boo in a befuddled state of suspicion that his happy tree friend has ditched him to be a residential suite endorsement diva.

Therefore, pretty girly-girl billboard girl, I the fearless retard challenge you to a

DOPPELGANGER SHOWDOWN

Fann "Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got" Wong

VS

Disco "I like to moovit moovit" Very

Gimme a ring when you're feeling lucky.

15 Comments:

Blogger Captain Karat said...

I saw that billboard yesterday for the first time and remember thinking that it looked just like you as well... It is a gorgeous picture of Fann Wong though. I thought it was a strikingly beautiful image to look at so late at night... but yeah, it looks just like you.

This is a compliment.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to call you and tell you about it too...it really looks like youla....My hot Davina:)

3:07 PM  
Blogger kakicucuklangit said...

hahaha

looks like i'm not the only person who thought the same thing. i saw the ad early this month and say the same thing!

9:35 AM  
Blogger pugly said...

You should get paid royalty for it :-)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

"For it to fool even one who knows where to poke me for most comedic sound effect..."

That's the first time I've heard it described this way... to each her own, I suppose...

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA.... me and kenny have passed that darn billboard like a billion times and kept telling ourselves, "is that davina ? ". been meaning ot call u and ask u about it. but as i have a second look i convince myself that nah it couldnt be u. there def are differences...but what a similarity.

razzaq

4:08 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

veet fan,
thanks for the compliment. It so doesn't look like her though. Which i guess explains why it looks like me. Erm wait, did that make sense?

junior,
and you my macha that i can fry an egg on top of.

kaki cucuk langit,
it fooled ME, okay? that's as big a sign as it is of you not being alone.

pugly,
hey. now that's an idea. :P

jo,
don't discuss our bad side so openly dear, it might frighten the children.

razzaq,
it looks more like fann when you drive up closer to it, but from afar it can leave quite a question mark.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i honestly thought it was you...
until i saw the very last photos...
you look rather alike.. :D

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if it were not for the name on the billboard i swear that it was you.

i saw it a few times and i still double-checked the name.

anyway, i like your version of the ad. I still don't know what they want to sell to me. My reaction is:

go to retardation nation blog. must go to davina's blog.

ha.

12:02 PM  
Blogger albert said...

I have to admit, I didn't recognize you at the HELP screening at first. I mean, you've always looked radically different, but never so different that wouldn't recognize, and wonder why she was waving at me.

6:13 PM  
Blogger soojc said...

broken bridges looks good.. is it good? =)

5:53 PM  
Blogger Reta said...

i immediately THOUGHT of you as well!!!

hahahahahahhahaha

made jumped out of my skin babe, seriously hugs you're famous hehe

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! Been meaning to ask you about that! Then one day I drove slower and saw Fann Wong's name. =)

8:42 PM  
Blogger Jox said...

Hah! Jeremy and I were on the way to... I can't remember where. And we both went "OI IT'S DAVINA!"

11:40 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

damion,
indeed, the comparison is the thing that confirms how it's so not me.

az,
i like the way you think, young man! thanks.

albert,
i honestly don't know what made me so different that time round, but i'll try my best to make myself more recognizeable next time.

meewuargh,
i had the same problem. :P

soo jin,
there's only one way to find out! ;)

cyber-red,
i'm famous and i don't even know it? such irony. :P

syat,
don't worry, that's always a sign of good advertising.

joy,
i want to be part of your i-can't-remember-where escapades too!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home