Friday, July 22, 2005

Everything Changes

I did a shoot last month for a TV ad for 8TV; only when I came for an apparel fitting session the day before did I find out it was for a sanitary pad. But hey, Whisper rocks.

It was supposed to be a full day shoot but I had a group presentation at college that day at 3.30pm, so the crew shifted the time up by an hour (5.30am). The ad was to be mainly still image-based, with a few video snippets in between. The theme would be about going through changes in life.

The 'film director' shoot was done first, at M8 Studio in Kepong. This studio was the one CLEO magazine mainly dealt with for its photoshoots. While I was employed there, I was itching for a chance to check it out. I was however always told to stay back in the office to do my work; I was the Anakin of the CLEO Council. My first-time visit therefore provided a sense of closure, if not a hint of self-achievement... even... power.

The day didn't have a very animated start... the hairstylist had to keep propping my head up while he was working on me because I was falling asleep in my chair. But my eyes lit up once I walked onto the set and was given one of those thingamabobbies which film crew clap to signify the next take.

Trying my luck with Electronic Voice Phenomena
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Right back atcha.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The hairstylist David brought along some wigs he bought specially from China - they felt and even tore like real hair (I grew a little fidgety). The ones that were used to depict my age represented the opposite: for my younger years I looked like Farah Fawcett, and for my mature years, Go Go Yubari.

The marriage scene was shot partially in the studio before we ventured out to FRIM to take outdoor shots. My kept tripping over my dress, and my upper lip, as usual, was giving me a stubborn sweat mustache. But Mark, my groom for the day, helped keep my spirits up. We discussed baby names and honeymoon plans.

If Princess Leia was from mainland China
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I now pronounce you dude & dudette
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The graduation scene was shot at the same location. The gown was HOT.

"I can't feel my hat or my hair falling off and I don't even know your last name, but you know what? That's ok, because you're still my best friend! Let's all laugh together now! Ha ha. Hee hee."
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The lesbian benefits of loose uniform
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We then shot off to the heart of town, at a swanky office space in Pudu. There was a cake bought for the birthday scene (the crew had a tough time trying to find a bakery with the appropriate expertise to write '21' all across the side). I didn't get to have a bite though. So much for celebration of adulthood.

"Cor! Look everybody, CANDLES... And they're GOLD!"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Your hair is naff but we still love you!"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I barely had enough energy for the last scene. I started falling asleep in the hairstyling chair again and my makeup around my eyes was crinkling up. I was also starting to worry about the time. Luckily it wrapped up a bit quicker than the other scenes. They took a final close-up shot of my face looking at an imaginary product floating in the air, smirking, and then having to turn back at the camera to give a full frontal smile. I'm thankful that it was not included in the final edit. The cheese factor would have forced Bega out of business.

Yes, I love managing. Doesn't it show?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My friend Steph asked me if I was wearing a wig for this scene too.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The director dropped me off at my college a half-hour late, but luckily my team's turn wasn't up yet. We gave a kickass presentation and almost earned full marks. I was surprised that the day went so well.

Probably because the crap would come much later. A month after the shoot, I was given a call from 8TV again. I was being called back to do a follow-up to the ad, a spin-off mini 'dramedy' about the same character. Seven episodes, same format, 2 minutes each. To be shot over one weekend. That was utter madness. On Saturday, eighteen hours with no breaks except for lunch and dinner. It was a neverending cycle of Shoot!-Wardrobe!-Makeup!-Hair! By the last scene of the day at midnight, everyone was high on fatigue and people were laughing at people laughing. The next day went a bit more smoothly and lasted 10 hours; it was obvious that everyone was thoroughly worn. I was held back after the last shoot to record the narration; I was surprised that for a technical first attempt at voice-overs, apart from tripping over my words, the director didn't find any other reason to do more than one take. I think he just wanted to go home.

One episode will be aired after every few days, on the 8TV Quickie at 11.30pm. I've no idea of what the schedule is like, but I've been told that the series will premiere tomorrow night (Saturday).

My aphrodite makes a cameo appearance as a bitchy roommate, so for anyone who's curious, keep an eye out for her.

In the meantime, enjoy the ad that started it all.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Update: The 8TV Quickie Dramedy "...A Better Change" is on every Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday night.

11 Comments:

Blogger earl-ku said...

saw that ad quite a number of time already ...

u looking great!

10:07 PM  
Blogger jack said...

oh we got to see sarah??? OMG.. ^.^..

10:51 AM  
Blogger Reta said...

eh eh I recognized Belinda and Fara =P

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aiyah. the link's not working leh... -LC-

9:57 PM  
Blogger zona marie said...

i still think u fit the part i'm looking for!!! can u come in monday? puhleeeeezzz? =P

12:35 AM  
Blogger soojc said...

link please?

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're hot!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Fashionasia said...

i think u look so innocent in the graduation dress. ;)
you're getting more stints now congrats girl!!

8:37 AM  
Blogger albert said...

That doesn't sound like you! Electronic Voice Phenomena eh?

11:20 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

earl-ku,
thanks, i wish they didn't show the ad so often...

ectoplasm,
*blush* call me.

amakanchi,
yes mark was a sweetheart, however our marriage is the only one that has ended faster that britney's.

jack,
sarah's appearing soon, keep checking :P

cyber-red,
yeah they were great girls to work with! :D

LC,
i refreshed the link. thanks for the notice.

zahrain,
did you find out the answer last night? i was out when it was on. I don't even know myself. i think i was alseep with my eyes open for half the shoot.

midnite lily,
i wish i went but you know how circumstance can be such a b*tch :(

soo jin,
yup yup, it's back up.

ah pink,
thanks, it comes with the wardrobe.

ryousuke ida,
tedious is an understatement. good experience though...

fashionasia,
thanks for the support! trying to slow down now coz i'm finding difficulty finding a balance.

albert,
the voice in the ad isn't me, the voice in the dramedy is. you'd probably wouldn't recognize it anyway, my voice has been slowed down so i sound a like an ogre.

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and i miss checking your blog for a bit and a whole drama enfolds!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home