Monday, October 30, 2006

Serendipity

Nine Ringgit? Man, they don't come cheap these days, I thought to myself as I reluctantly parted with my RM10 note at the cashier counter. I lost the patronage to all women's magazines since resigning from the industry two years ago, but I was curious this time to check something out.

The November issue of Female was the thickest mag I had ever come across: as thick as a telephone directory and dense enough to ensure success in a physical act of self defense. With the pages seemingly spilling forth, I thumbed around to the 50 Gorgeous People 2006 spread, gasped, giggled, and hurried back to my office.

That same evening I was scheduled for a long-overdue appointment with my sweetheart of a friend, Razif. Catching up on life with him has never been a dull affair, although his depth of both rational and emotional intelligence occasionally makes my own aptitude quiver like cold tofu.

We engaged in laughs and conversation over a cheap but hearty dinner, and I caught hold of a comfortable silence to toss him a coquettish flutter of the eyelids.

"Raaaaz?"

"Yeeees?"

I pulled out the magazine from my knapsack, split it open in the middle, and slid it across the table.

His eyes popped at the left page,


While mine had already popped at the right.


All we could do for the five minutes thereafter was laugh, laugh, and laugh a bit more.

"You didn't tell me you did this!"

"YOU didn't tell ME you did this either!"

We gawked at our pictures placed side by side.

"This is PURE FATE, man!"

When I was shortlisted to be part of the shoot back in July, I hadn't thought anything else of it until I received an email from the magazine last week informing me that I made it to the final fify. I was dreading to attend the publicity events on my own, a black sheep amongst forty-nine outwardly hot human beings.

And to find out that I know one of them, it's now going to be one heckuva party.

Female's 50 Gorgeous People will be making an appearance at the magazine's Bumper Roadshow at 1 Utama (Highstreet), 12th November, 3pm - 3.30pm. The Finals will take place at Zouk KL, 2nd December, 7pm - 10.30pm. Votes for the Most Gorgeous Male & Female can be made via SMS. Details in Female's November 2006 issue, and also in the follow-up blog entry.

14 Comments:

Blogger Elaine Chow said...

Hey girl remember me? We went to see Habeus Corpus together. Anyways didn't know you had a blog! And your FEMALE spread is gorgeous (did that come out wrong? haha).

Cheers

8:12 PM  
Blogger Jox said...

I won't be around for both months and since I haven't seen the spread to see if I know anybody else in the top 50, you've got my vote (of confidence). ;)

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WahLau wei!! Damn hot man..(You Davina)...yum yum:)

11:43 PM  
Blogger Zahrain said...

Perghhh..this is what you call pose 'maut'.
By the way excellent statement/words on "embrace cultures apart from their own"...=)
Since I don't buy FEMALE magazine, can you buy me one so that I can see who is much more gorgeous than you..hahaha..just kidding!=P

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! The 31st most gorgeous Msian sat in my car before... *Gasp* *Gasp* Breathe, idiot, breathe!

2:08 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

elaine,
of course i remember you. don't worry, i got the context down. :) thanks! i didn't know you had a blog either, so i suppose it's a mutual discovery.

joy,
thanks for your support, hope your plans are transpiring swimmingly.

happylazy,
stop drooling you maniac. next thing you know i'll be nominating you for 2007.

saintvamp,
thanks, i do try my best to live up to what i say. and trust me, should you get your hands on a copy, you'll be in for a lot of eye candy.

chuang,
#31 isn't a rating, just a random number. i do however admire your, erm... zeal. :P

2:53 PM  
Blogger MissHani said...

WoooT! Congratulations! heeee...

3:30 PM  
Blogger albert said...

Whoa, you're before the WHIRRR-GIN! (Anyone who saw him in Actorlympics will know this.)

2:40 PM  
Blogger michaelcsm said...

wow - "Most Gorgeous List" - impressive... :) put up the number to sms here so that i can cast my vote! (Cause chances are - i won't buy my own copy of FEMALE) ...

Congrats all the same!

and also - thanks for coming to watch FiL (TWICE!!) :) hehe - hope i didn't dissapoint.

3:48 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

misshani,
thanks!

albert,
yes he just told me about that. :P had only i known he was performing, i would have come to watch.

pugly,
just on a very temporary basis. :P

commonjack,
thanks mate! i'll see what i can do, watch this space. and i'm glad i watched FiL twice, it was awesome and so were you!

11:08 AM  
Blogger kakicucuklangit said...

hey d! congrats!

12:11 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

kaki cucuk langit,
thanks mate :)

3:58 PM  
Blogger mob1900 said...

"Hubba! Hubba! Huwweeeeettt!
Knock 'em dead, Davina!"

*Davina's Unofficial Fand Club Pom-pom Male Group Under-50. =P

3:13 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

mob1900,
males and pom poms are a deadly combination. I like it. thanks mate.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home