Friday, July 29, 2005

Cut Short

I've been looking like a bag lady when I go to work. My last haircut has left me with uneven lengths of feathery ends that would make sudden bends and twirls if I didn't brush them down properly after a shower.

So I went to the hairdressers to get a trim.

(JUST a trim.)

I was walking towards the salon during lunchtime and I didn't even make it seem obvious that I was going to enter or even show interest, but this guy pops out of nowhere, stops me in my tracks and proclaims a need to re-color my hair. I declined but said I did need a trim.

(JUST a trim.)

So he showed me in, sat me down and started rambling off about what colours would be good for me and where he would place the highlights and everything, and I slowed him down... I said all I wanted was to make my hair a little neater, just balance and tidy up the sides, and at the same time maintain the length because I've been trying to keep my hair long. All I wanted was something that will grow out nicely. It was a long-winded request but I figured it was the best way to make sure that I was going to get a trim.

(JUST a trim.)

He whips out his pair of scissors and starts snipping.

"You want to see the packages we have you can cut and colour and treatment for only RM177..."
"Uh, no thanks, I just want a-"
"It's ok if you don't want then we also have a cut and treatment promotion going on no need to colour..."
"Erm, I wasn't really thinking about get-"
"I feel your hair is very damaged but don't worry I can give you more discount..."
"I'm in a bit of a rush actually, so maybe I could come back and do it anoth-'"
"You know the package is very cheap you don't be able to find this price anywhere else and you just need to add RM20 more to get a sham-"
"DUDE! I have no money nor time to do any package... All I want is a TRIM."
He paused momentarily and blinked.
"It's okay highlight only half an hour treatment only ten minute..."
"........."
"...And ATM very near here."

The hairdresser made the classic mistake of being overzealous with his art. He didn't give me a trim. Granted, he stayed true to my word and kept the length, but he cut the rest of my hair close to my head. Which means that I'm now back to square one (refer to profile photo), only worse off. My director is envisioning the character I play next January to have at least shoulder-length locks. And with hair that stubbornly grows an inch every six months, I think I have just made him a very vexed man.

I won't feel sexy when I do my dance anymore; no more bangs to flip away from my face, no more provocative effect from running my fingers through. In a strange form of consolation, I can lessen the contradiction that's stated on the T-shirt I'll be made to wear.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Can't believe the darn thing is happening in 27 hours. No-one is ready. Graciously accepting all forms of luck donations.

11 Comments:

Blogger jack said...

should add "read my lips. All I want is a TRIM.".. sigh.. i hate those ppl.. they just dont get it.. sian..

OMFG.. everything is falling apart.. NO.... wait... where is my coffee....(.")

2:12 PM  
Blogger burn666 said...

Good luck! :)

5:22 PM  
Blogger Aeric said...

ouch ... I had a similar experience like that. 'Just a trim' and all this hair started falling! WTF?!
Good luck! (^_^)v

6:37 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

You shoulda shouted "I want a trim only aaa.. No means NO!".

Anyway, here's one donation from me; Good Luck and Godspeed on the hair growth.

6:43 PM  
Blogger weedflower said...

OMG hairdressers are scary especially that one.
Hey next time try a student hairdresser. At least they shut up and listen...Only worry you have is that they might screw up;that and your bum hurts from sitting down too long

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heys... u rocked la. pretty hard. hehe.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Blake said...

Guys really don't have to worry about that. Bummer.

And, I saw you linked to Jason Mraz--you've got to get his new albumn that came out last week, if you haven't already. It is amazing. You'll love it!

Blake

10:18 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

babe, you're getting famous by the day. I feel like a commoner now when standing right next to you...huhuhu...

12:22 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I'm shortly going to be going thru my own search for a hair guru here in Oz - a land of strange hair culture ala mohawk and mullet. This will not do. Color and cut here could be scarily outrageous and likely to be not at all what I envision. I empathize and sympathize. I know the pain.

7:10 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

Jack,
yeah man, they take their jobs too seriously.

burn666,
thanks! it went ok.

aeric,
as a guy, at least you literally have less to lose.

ashril,
unfortunately for me and fortunately for swindlers, i'm the kind of sweet girl who can be easily taken advantage of. thanks for the donation!

ryousuke ida,
WIG?! DID SOMEONE SAY WIG?!?!

"Someone get the tranquilizer gun!"

amakanchi,
my mom says the same thing. now i have one more reason to listen to her.

weedflower,
yeah i was considering a student hairdresser cut, or one of those RM12-for-12-minute-cut sorta places. i was thinking that a proper salon would give me results closer to my expectations...i have a knack of finding things out the hard way.

watermelonseed,
thanks, but you shouldn't judge too much from the back view!

the everglades,
yeah i've been told that's a great album, planning to get it soon. but others couldn't wait... i busted my budget on the new ones by Jamiroquai and Gorillaz. thanks for the recommendation!

muddy,
puh-leeze dude! i'm not famous. I'm still a commoner just like you and me and the birds and bees. just doing the things i want to do before i turn 64.

km,
thank you for feeling with me. but i love how you guys can get away with just about anything. i also think a mohawk would be a nice change for me... got any contacts?

6:37 PM  
Blogger seth.frostheart said...

hair extensions to the rescue? *grins*

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home