Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Sister support

After the magazine hair shoot, Calvin took Samantha and I to a cafe right next to his salon for lunch. My hairstyle, still looking pretty nifty, was drawing curious glances from fellow diners. It also caught the attention of one of the waitresses, who bashfully asked that million-dollar question consistently posed to me and something even the Grandfather Of All Knowledge probably wouldn't be able to comprehend.

"Are you Japanese?"

I laughed and asked her why, apart from the manga hair, did she think so. She replied that I had "good skin". Me? Good skin? It almost made me swear out loud.

"It's just a LOT of makeup, dear. This woman can work miracles," I quipped, pointing to Samantha.

After Calvin gobbled his lunch and ran next door to finish some errands in his salon, the waittress sat down at our table. I was unsure if she knew Samantha as a regular patron, but the young girl started talking about how insecure she was about her looks. She talked about how she was going to start university soon and that she was afraid that her self-consiousness would heighten there and affect her studies. She admitted that her appearance would bother her on a daily basis, and that she was considering professional counselling.

I was flabbergasted. All this was coming from a girl who had a healthy physique, large brown eyes, cute button nose, gorgeous smile and a fresh, rosy glow to her face.

Restraining from immersing myself into a monologue about my own disorder and other body issues, Samantha and I praised her looks, explained how her concern was a normal part of growing up, and assured her she had absolutely nothing to fret about. She wasn't really buying it, and I wanted to smear off my makeup there and then to convince her that I looked even more average than she did.

Samantha had to leave quickly to join Calvin at the salon, which reminded me to also wait there for my mother to pick me up. I asked for the waitress's name (which I can't recall at the moment) and wished her the best in her studies and to take care of herself.

I stopped in my tracks halfway to the salon. Something just didn't feel right.

I stepped back into the cafe, where the waitress was still sitting at the table we were at. I went up to her, gave her my business card and asked her to drop me a line if she needed anyone to talk to. She was pretty shocked at my gesture and burst into shy, infectious giggles. I then gave her a big hug and told her she was beautiful. She couldn't bring herself to do anything but gratefully thank me and blush a lot in between.

I could still hear her laughter as I left the cafe, thinking Whoa... so this is what it feels like to be Oprah.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See? You DO have a heart :). That was real nice of you D. Incidently, OHMYGOD on the pictures, you look ABSOKUTELY stunning. When I saw the pirated DVD seller look I was starting to worry, but it turned out really nice after.

Incidently, the serious look does you well. You're one of the few you look good when they're pissed off.

:)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Blake said...

Hey!

Great story and awesome pictures. Your blog is one I like checking on a regular basis. I wish I was technically savvy enough to post pictures and stuff like you do here. Currently I’m trying to lose some weight, so posting pictures of my progress (or lack there of) would be great, but I don’t know how (and I don’t have a digital camera, so I guess I’m screwed either way).

Thanks for linking to my site, and I’m going to put a link to yours on my blog as well.

All the best!

Blake

5:40 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Babe, that was a really great thing you did! I am so proud of you. You must have left a big impression on her. I bet that girl will always remember that Japanese girl who told her that she is indeed beautiful. :)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

There may still be some hope in this word yet!

10:41 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

thanks so much everyone for the kind words... just doing what felt right!

best wishes all around.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that was very nice of you! Always love reading your posts, many new disco-verys.

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home