Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Not ready to rumble

Last night, I was typing out a short story on my archaic laptop in bed and ended up falling asleep on the keyboard with the lights still on. As I was about to pull the trigger at Bush, I was rudely awakened by a faint throbbing in my chest. Weird palpitations, I thought. I waited a while for it to stop, and just when I was concluding that all those pisang goreng binges were taking a toll on my arteries, I opened my eyes and looked down.

My chest was rocking. Ever so slightly. In fact, my entire body was getting jiggy wit it.

I strained my ears to make out audible signals of midnight neighborhood construction... Nadda.

Mom pounding belacan in her mortar... Nadda.

Crazy kids cruising around with the soft top down and Megadeath blaring from the speakers... Nadda.

My dog can make a door rattle if she leans against it and scratches herself, but that effect on a bed would be unheard of unless she's secretly found a way to unscrew the lid off my tub of Fuel Mass.

What's going on?

Trying my best to not come off as fatigue-drunk, I called out to my sister who was studying on her bed at the opposite side of the room.

"Stephanie... Do you feel like something is... shaking?"

She slammed her Mandarin notes in her lap.

"YES! I didn't want to ask you anything because I thought you were sleeping and I thought it was just me, Thank God!"

She ran downstairs to ask my mom if she felt anything, which she didn't.

Shortly after, my mom and dad came up to inform me of a major eathquake that had just struck Indonesia, and that loads of people were calling up the radio station to report on tremors shaking up their homes.

The same town struck twice by natural disasters!? Where is all this sudden horrible unfairness stemming from? I demand to speak with Upper Management.

2 Comments:

Blogger Muddy said...

My theory is that the earth is doing a major makeover. And like all makeovers, some people will be for it, and some will be shocked. In this case, we are left with the latter option...

But imagine if we had snow...

1:46 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

I was thinking along similar lines Muddy, about the makeover. All these disasters are happening just months away from each other. Whatever has been planned for us we've no idea, but I know that if I died tommorow, I will do so knowing that I was the best person I could be.

PS I've never seen snow before, so that wouldn't be such a bad thing :P

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home