Monday, May 16, 2005

Mates, skates & cake

I left my book in my cast-mate Nigel's car on the day of the ad shoot, so we agreed to meet up for dinner with his friends last Friday so he could pass it back to me. He also invited me to a party which sounded interesting enough for me to say yes.

We dined at TGI Fridays, where I got acquainted to his buds who proved to be nothing more but a bunch of grown-up hooligans. With the restaurant crew coming out so often to sing funky TGIF birthday songs at every alternate table, Nigel's friends decided to exploit my naivety and informed a waitress about the joyous occasion at our own table. As the decoy birthday girl, I was not spared from the chair-standing ritual. I found it hard to contain my excitement.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Apparently it was done for the free chocolate cake, but they inevitably chucked the entire slice in front of me after getting full from seemingly significant crumb-picking.

The Black Union Party was pretty cool. I didn't dance too much; I tried my hand at wallflowering with the guys, although I felt completely out of my element. The free flow of stout was overwhelming, and my request for a Sprite seemed futile.

'My Goodness, My Guinness'
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I went out for a drink with good school buddy Ashvin the next day. After months of hardcore clubbing, it was the first time in a long time that I had seen his face in one continuing light, and been able to speak to him at natural volume. We yapped for hours and he dropped me back home at 1.30am. John, a friend who lives down the road, happened to be driving by as I opened the gate to my house. He asked me out again, seeing me as the only medium of release at that time from a sugar rush and severe case of verbal diahorrea. We drove around our road and I suggested that we park somewhere since it was roadkill peak hour, so he took me to his house where we reflected on love, career and life in general until the sun came up. Which wasn't such a good idea, as his mom awoke earlier than expected and I had to stay hidden in his bedroom until she left for church. Which she did at 8.45am, then his dad woke up. We were forced to make an espionage escape during his father's loo break. John dropped me back where I then sneaked into my house, put on my jammies and jumped into bed without waking any of my own folks. I was fairly impressed with what I've learnt from MTV.

I finally found time and balls to have a go at my new skateboard. My main objective was to just get a feel of the board, how much I could tilt it before my arms start flailing. Six additional wheels does make a vast difference, so it's going to be a while before I can show the toddlers in the park how cool I am again.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

9 Comments:

Blogger Aeric said...

Happy Birthday! From one who has experienced the same fate.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Sorry babe, didn't know it was your bday! Anyway, on my side, I declare the entire month yours for you to feel happy and delighted. :))

*PS: Free cakes are good...hehehe*

8:49 AM  
Blogger seth.frostheart said...

free is good... free food is better :P but don't mind me, i'm a glutton like that, haha...

just make sure the waiter and waitresses don't recognize you when you go back for you real birthday.. *grins*

6:22 PM  
Blogger albert said...

Wallflower power! You'll look different come December don't worry. Hmmm how many outlets of TGI Fridays are there? We could pull off a chocolate cake rampage. Now if only I wasn't kinda diabetic. *sees that glimmer in your eyes that says "oh poor you, I'll finish that."*

Oooh that guy was in the ad too! Cool, more uh name dropping bragging rights!

Ooh er, do you still want the introduction?

1:50 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Erm, by the way, to think about it...eons ago I had my birthday at TGIFs and requested for the cake. When the bill came, it printed "FREE CAKE" on the bill for RM13.00. I've been conned!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Blake said...

Have you ever seen the movie Boyz N the Hood? It came out in 1991 and there is a very similar "my mom is up for church and we can't get caught" routine.

This post made me laugh a lot; I think MTV has taught us all a thing or two.

Blake

10:34 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

Aeric & Muddy,
Sorry I didn't convey the passage accurately enough. It wasn't my birthday - it was really. purely. entirely. for the cake. :P Muddy that RM13.00 'free cake' cracked me up!

frostheart,
planning to raid Chillis next, they have ICE CREAM chocolate cakes there don't they?

Albert,
i'll let you know when i have a craving. and yeah i still wouldn't mind the intro :)

Everglades,
No I haven't seen it but i ironically came across that film title for the first time today in a book i'm reading about teenage marketing :P

Random-Girl,
sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience. I was having fun enjoying the singing and doing the twist on my chair until i heard this line about about how old i look. hence my expression in the picture.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Aeric said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Aeric said...

Nope. I got what you meant. My story is ... went with some friends, my dad called TGIF and said 'It's my son's birthday' and proceeded to describe me. Waiters ambushed me and despite my best efforts ... well ... you know the rest. But this was way back when they just sang and you sat there. No standing on chairs or anything. Now it seems like they make you work for your cake.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home