Friday, August 05, 2005

Boogie Wonderland (Part 1)

It was a sunny day in sunny June...

And like all other days, members of the public instinctively kept their distance from me.

I came across the hitz.fm Rexona No Sweat Dance Challenge roadshow at 1 Utama. Mom pushed me into open view, pride kept me there.

First was the limbo challenge. Some complained that it had nothing to do with dancing skills, others bitched about not being warned beforehand to avoid tight jeans. And - Now how about that! - I was picked the first to go. The limbo stick was lowered twice until it was barely 3 feet off the ground. I managed to scrape through and my hip hurt pretty bad. Everyone got past this round - even the people who fell on their knees and hands. Must be some new rules I'm not yet familiar with.



Second round tested creativity. I've never watched a Kuda Kepang dance let alone tried it. We were to pass around a two-dimensional horse and see what we could come up with whilst going around some traffic cones.

I must say I am quite a natural.



Elimination was based on audience support. We were all told to turn around, while the were randomly pointed out for approval behind our backs.



From 12 we were cut down to 4. Then came the freestyle round. We all danced together then took turns after tagging each other. Elimination once again was based on public noise. Competition was fierce and I didn't stand a chance. So except for my family screaming their lungs out, I cannot find any logical reason why I was chosen as the winner over this guy.



I was offered to walk away with RM300, but taking free hip hop classes and competing for RM1000 during the grand finals seemed much more tempting. For all I knew, the instructor might be cute!

So to the dismay of my family who was looking forward to a nice dinner that night, I signed the contract form. As for the dude in the yellow bandana, there was an 'extra form' available and it was offered to him since he sorta came second...

And so the madness began.

6 Comments:

Blogger earl-ku said...

errr where is the vid with you dancing?

cool!

10:22 PM  
Blogger jack said...

what on earth are u doing with the 'Kuda Kepang'.. sigh.. ur not going to lay a hand on 'Kuda Kepang' in this life time.. :p

1:00 AM  
Blogger soojc said...

the horsie felt the love....

1:22 AM  
Blogger burn666 said...

LOL! Man, those videos really made my day! Congrats!

3:49 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

earl-ku,
sorry, there's no video of me dancing - only those who performed before and after.

amakancki,
retardation rules over!

jack0,
Too late! Politicians are no longer the main root of corruption.

Soo Jin,
mmmyes, makes me want to ride it again.

ryousuke ida,
refer to response to earl-ku. and thanks for the tribute on your side... wierd and wonderful.

burn666,
glad they made you smile, wince, etc... it gives me an awfully good sense of wellbeing.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

You dance good. ;) and babe, love the tudung look. hehehe...

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home