Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Jalur Gem-'hilang'

Independence Day fever is catching on slowly this year, but the blogosphere is thriving in spirit. A bunch of Malaysian bloggers are planning to blog in our national language tomorrow, and I'm feeling properly retarded. I tend to use Manglish a lot in a foolish attempt to mask the fact that I can't speak or read or write Bahasa Malaysia for jack. To prove what a 'teruk' case I am, kindly allow me to demonstrate:

Ibubapa saya dari Melaka dan Muar... sebab tu, saya berasa sedih. Kenapa? Kerana saya cakap Melayu macam pelancong. Malunya.

"Translation":
My parents are from Malacca and Muar... because of that, I'm feeling sad. Why? Because I speak Malay like a tourist. The shame.


Now do you believe that my 'B' grade in O'Levels stood for 'Blatant fluke'?

I thought this was the closest my blog was gonna get to displaying patriotism, but then I had an idea...

Why don't I learn the national anthem?

*Gasp*

*HORROR*

*Dear child, tell me it isn't so...*

Sorry mate, you did read that right. For the past 13 years of living in Kuala Lumpur, I have only been mouthing along. When I feel brave enough, I try and utter English-equivalent syllables. Advance Australia Fair is relatively more complicated in musical and lyrical structure, but I can still sing it as well as any sheila. Curse that Third Culture Kid syndrome.

To say that it's about time I master the words to Negaraku would be the understatement of the year.

SO! Tuan-tuan dan Puan-puan, in a tribute to the hazy, lazy, crazy country which has taught me how to withstand humidity, devour durians and appreciate the art of freeloading, here is my rendition of the tune that has placed me one notch closer to being a proud Malaysian.



(Watch in the following sequence to effectively observe slow & painful loss of hope)

Take One - Fabulous start

Take Two - The problem of sharing a room

Take Three - Almost!

Take Four - Funny how 'darahku' sounds a lot like 'negaraku'

Take Five - Did I get it right? (Wait - don't answer that.)

Happy Merdeka Day y'all - wave that Jalur Gemilang high!

13 Comments:

Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

im not even gonna attempt to watch you sing it. no offense.

In respect for our tiny nation & in tune with the celebrations, i will silently crave roti telur and nasi impit...*sigh...thai food makes the ass burn. I miss malaysian food.

1:50 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

ryousuke,
yeah my dad has told me of the slower original version. it gives a different feel, yeah?

trish,
heheh, i don't blame you for not wanting to watch it... a sign that you know me well enough. when are you coming back? as for the aftermath of consuming thai food, my ex called it the 'ring of fire'...

2:25 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

heheheheheheheh...you're on hilarious babe!!! and you know what? i actually re-learn the actual words to Negaraku via your blog! Huhuhu...;)

10:04 AM  
Blogger burn666 said...

Too funny! Oh, and a happy Merdeka Day to you too... ;)

7:43 PM  
Blogger michaelcsm said...

haha. shit. i had a bad day and this definitely made me laugh out loud. and at 2 bloody am. haha.

well - now we all know u can sing Negaraku ... the question is whether u understand what you are singing? :)

hehe.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

Ill be back for xmas hopefully. Circus life isnt as fun as I thought/imagined/hoped it was. If I have to live next to the elephant or the poodles one more time, I will get a gun and shoot them all!!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

coerymoery,
sorry to make you choke on your duck meat. i can't recall meeting your mom yet but i'm sure i've given her a fairly positive impression already. hope you had a great merdeka week too. thanks for your support of Retardation Nation! BOOYA!

Amakanchi,
sorry i haven't been able to check the link, the only pc i have is at the office and it doesn't have a soundcard. and don't worry about the language, at least you're bilingual!

muddy,
I'm so proud of performing a civil service to fellow malaysians. glad you enjoyed it :)

burn666,
Thanks, hope you had a good one!

dilettante,
i read up the translation online, so i sorta get the gist now. and be careful about laughing at ungodly hours, people might call for patrol :P

trish,
darn, sorry to hear that. looking forward to seeing you back, now with David back and all. take it easy til then.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*smiles* good one. bless.

10:56 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

shazareene,
thanks, bless you too. :)

4:47 PM  
Blogger earl-ku said...

hmmm link expired ... next time u put up any links for download, pass me an email ...

i am always late ...


:(

1:25 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

earl-ku,
no worries, thanks for letting me know. I've just renewed the links... hope you like em.

3:12 PM  
Blogger earl-ku said...

hey why dont you try this as an alternative to yousendit.com

http://www.youtube.com/

stream it straight away la ... :)

1:48 AM  
Blogger earl-ku said...

haha YOU SUCKED! YOU SUCKED!

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home