Thursday, December 15, 2005

Metamorphosis

Strong words were exchanged: intimidating threats, heartwrenching confessions, monumental epiphanies. It was enthralling to witness. Then the thought gouged me in the eye: This is gonna be big... And I am sooooo not ready for it.

This week marked the start of rehearsals for my first commercial film. It's a project that has been in the works for years, and to see it blooming is a most satisfying rush. The cast reading through the final script together for the first time felt like magic. The new crew were creating their master plan in another room, their rowdy discussion reeking of novelties and algorithms.

Last night before the rehearsal, while the crew members and I were tucking into gastronomic sins at the mamak, Arivind the director called for my attention from the opposite side of the table.

"You know, you're going to have to start kissing tonight."

"HUH?!?!?!?!?"

"Yes, tonight! Because I can honestly tell you now, if you don't practice for it, it's going to look like crap on camera..."

I stared down at my meal; my garlic naan drooped over the plate in disillusionment.

I had entered the audition room as a naïve freshie adult, ready to take on the world, with high hopes, huge dreams, one hand in her pocket and the other giving the peace sign. One and a half years down the line, I am a frail old geezer, conscious about her looks, pessimistic about her achievements, suspicious of her credibility and wondering how the heck she's gonna tap, from the deep recesses of her soul, that sprightly evergreen sucker for love.

But have to admit, I can't say I'm not a *tad* excited.

11 Comments:

Blogger burn666 said...

Lol! Don't worry lah, you'll be fine! Remember, keep it simple...

4:30 PM  
Blogger sel said...

lol.

K-eep
I-t
S-imple
S-tupid.


:P

9:55 PM  
Blogger Reta said...

oo ooo

kissing sceneeeeeeeeee

have fun hehehe...

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps i can be your kissing partner's stand-in lips for rehearsal ;)
and to warm you up. a 3some would be good for a start.

12:41 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

burn666,
thanks, i'll try...

sel,
simplicity is subjective :P

cyber-red,
if your definition of 'fun' is having cold, clammy hands and tripping over your lines at pivotal moments, then it's safe to say i'm having a ball.

amakanchi,
he gets equally jittery about it but it helps that we were friends in college. he's really supportive and professional about it too. bless his cotton socks.

meewuargh,
how can i NOT forget? i'm still up for it but we might have to reconsider the third party now, won't we?

estacado,
the dude fell sick today, and oh me oh my, i now have no one to practice my scenes with... boo hoo... *ahem*

6:18 PM  
Blogger jack said...

*kiss*
*slurp*
*lick*
*yummy*

u want ice-cream?

11:38 PM  
Blogger albert said...

Damn, estacado stole my line. Well if he disappears again you know where to find me.

Now you've just made me remember to look out for the uncut DVD version when it comes out.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hola if you're really in need of some rehearsal(s).meewuargh knows how to get hold of me...*ahem*

albert: perhaps u'll be luckier with her future projects instead.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, on another note... how was script writing lesson 101 last sunday? :)

[it's official: i'm stalking you now ms. mambo jambo]

11:57 PM  
Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

Merry Trishmas & Happy Holidays

6:52 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

jack0,
ice cream is good.

albert,
don't worry, i'll get my hands on a copy :P

estacado,
the workshop was good thanks. not doing so well with the take-home assignment though.

trish,
*xmas & new year super hug*

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home