Friday, September 02, 2005

Blowin' in the Wind

Yesterday I was having a nice lovely walk to Aunty Nat's Restaurant a few blocks down from my office. I was going to have lunch there with my friends Az and Shelley before they leave for Boston. The weather was bizarre but pleasant... to my right was fluffy white sky, to my left, a potentially menacing gray.

I reached the restaurant's block when the wind gushing toward me started getting a little forceful, my flimsy slacks billowing like sails in bad seas. Anything likened to a gale in the middle of town is rare, and I pushed myself against it with a raised brow and measured footsteps.

I got a call from Az when I was a few steps away from the restaurant, telling me that he and Shelley had just arrived and found themselves a table inside. I hung up slowly as I set a glassy-eyed gaze on a large transparent object falling several yards in front of me.

PCHAAHHHHHH

The thick sheet of glass toppled violently to the floor with a deafening shatter. I recoiled in elastic shock. Before I could tear away from my veil of stupor, I was hit by something else. It felt like sand brushing past my entire body. The wind persevered... and I blinked in a mental register.

Holy Crap.

I hurried inside to where Az and Shelley was, who were oblivious to the situation. They stood up to greet me with hugs, but I jerked my bony palms up in front of them like a hostage proving his innocence.

"Don't touch me, I'm covered in glass!"

"Huh, how did that happen? Are you bleeding, are you ok?"

"Yeah I'm okay I th-OUCHIE OUCH!"

I staggered to the nearest seat and plucked a splinter from my big toe. Shelley immediately turned into temporary medic and plugged the minor injury with her trustworthy packet of tissue. Luckily that was the last sight of blood on me, and Shelley helped whisk tiny shards of glass out of my hair.

At the end of the block was a car showroom; I'm assuming that the glass door that served as the entrance was left open or ajar when the strong winds suddenly swooped in and unhinged it somehow. It was pretty freaky, but Az and Shelley eased me down with warm conversation.

After we had lunch, stepped out of the restarant, dodged glass pieces strewn across the tiled pavement and passed officials inspecting the accident, I couldn't help but feel a tinge of regret about misplacing the business card of the guy who pitched that insurance package to me last week.

15 Comments:

Blogger jack said...

freaky...

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man that's scary. must be the jinx!

but i'm glad that you escaped unharmed (with the unfortunate exception of your big toe).

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classifying such an experience under the "Near Death" category would a be a tad extreme...or would it?...lost in thought...

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank goodness you're all ok...
sorry for the toe thou...

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg D... some crazy things happen to you this year, did you realize that?

12:41 PM  
Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

man! walking disaster! hope you are okay

1:50 PM  
Blogger earl-ku said...

ohh my god! a few steps faster could have killed you!

bless you! bless you!

ok ... now get those sharpnels, collect them all, and head over to that car showroom, look for the mmnager and whack him in the head ... err actually no, show him what he might have caused ... indirectly ...

ask for compensation ... mentally and physical harm is inflicted upon yourself ...threaten to sue them for libility ... a few million plus a car should be sufficient

5:52 AM  
Blogger Aeric said...

this isn't America :p

9:48 PM  
Blogger fishtail said...

Get a lawyer and sue those dudes!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Blake said...

Very freaky....

And insurance is a bother until you need it.

Blake

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are okay...

And yeah, make those buggers pay for your medical bill or whatever.

9:54 AM  
Blogger albert said...

Yay for company insurance policies (though it wouldn't cover me in such cases...)

Whoa, imagine if the glass shards were stained with radiation! Side effects could be an amazing amount of energy and hyperactive cartoonness!

11:19 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

jack0,
...but cool in a twisted sense.

[k],
yeah i was really surprised that none got into my eye. yeesh.

stand_guard,
yeah, the only thing it did hurt was my confidence to stand outdoors on a windy day.

jay,
that would have entirely depended on my walking pace that day...

ryousuke,
thanks for the concern.

amakanchi,
yeah, glass splinters can kill. so can like, falling glass doors. whichever would get me first.

prianna,
really? i don't really know what events you're classifying as crazy, because my standards of crazy are slightly higher than the normal sapien.

trish,
yup i'm ok... i think... i'm waiting for the day i start crying Swarovski crystals.

Earl-ku,
Your suggestions are all too tempting. Az and Shelley told me I should sue too... but i don't have the money :P I'm just happy I'm ok. thanks loads.

aeric,
sadly, I have to second that.

fishtail,
nah, shite happens. i'll let it go this time. :P

the everglades,
indeed, and also after you sit down with a consultant who instills an unhealthy amount of paranoia in your mindset.

ah pink,
i'm cool, you cool, we cool.

albert,
got any cool superhero names to go with that?

5:46 PM  
Blogger albert said...

Hyperkyyouthfool?

Pronounced as either:
Hi perky youthful
Or:
Hyper ki-ute fool

Untuk royalti yang akan datang, you tau nombor I. *cue Az's song*

12:49 AM  
Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

Good Lord, this sounds like the kind of thing that happens to me! Glad no lasting damage was done.
Peace,
Big C

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home