Thursday, December 29, 2005

Friday Frolics

My friend Zona invited me and a few other old college mates to be part of a live audience of her new show, Everyday's a Friday at - keep an eye out for the coincidence here - TGI Friday's at The Curve. Zona was shooting two shows back to back: 7 to 9pm, and 9 to 11pm. I asked her to reserve two spots for me for the second shoot.

My friend John and I arrived at the outdoor shoot, comprising of rowdy diners, harsh lights and people scuttling around with cables trailing behind them. I found Zona discussing something with the host Serena C in the sea of hoopla. I tripped over some wires before calling out her name. She spun around and looked thrilled to see me... almost relieved. I sniffed a waft of conspiracy.

The first show was still being shot so John and I were seated inside the restaurant to wait for the next one. I met up with Keith, an old friend whom I haven't caught up with in ages. I was wary of John feeling left out, but the tables were turned when Keith and John recognized each other as old school mates. I tried looking busy with my camera and cellphone while John and Keith engaged in copious amounts of masculine banter.

During the last segment of the first show, we were taken outside to a table together with a couple of Zona's friends. I introduced myself to them.

"I've seen you before.... You're DISCO-VERY, right?"

Thus the chaos with Nazrul and Veronie began.

The last take was shot and we were herded to the back of the restaurant where the audience members for the next show were to be fed before the shoot. The buffet table was furnished with empty catering trays. The schedule was lagging a fair bit, and our stomachs started throwing b*tch fits. John was getting tired and decided to leave. Half an hour later, the food finally came: Caesar salad, garlic bread and buffalo wings. We ate until food was spewing out of our ears, and then a crew member came over to our table: "Hey! Don't get yourselves too full yet... You'll be given more food on set after this!"

We all paused, romaine leaves and shreds of poultry dangling from our lips.

"...Oh."

We were abruptly ushered out into the open again and shown to our table. A crew lady then announced through the microphone:

"You are going to be served some food... Please, PLEASE take your time with it because we need the food to last for the entire shoot."

Now how hard would that be?



As far as we've been told, it's a breeze.

Zona came to check on us during the technical set-up. She brought along a little orange friend (the one she's holding in her right hand)...

... before reverting to her display of producer prowess.


Nazrul & Veronie


A crew lady came to our table and said "Okay. So who's going to be playing the game later?"

Keith, Nazrul and Veronie all shot their forefingers at me. Secret Operation Get-Retard-On-TV: affirmative.

This particular episode was being shot as a Chinese New Year Special, with celebrity guests DJ Non from Mix FM and actor Chew Kin Wah.

After the interviews, a 'game table' was pulled up, together with two opposing teammates from the audience. The objective was to squeeze the liquideous extract out of WHOLE oranges into a large margherita glass until it is full, then to get your fellow teammate to finish the 'juice' the fastest.

Serena explaining the game...

...which was fun...

...until I saw Kin Wah...

...dip his fingers in.

The other team beating us by a few seconds. I bet that cow was already practicing backstage.

Can't you just TASTE that fresh golden goodness? Mmmmmm-MM.

The other team won. Fortunately, the prize was to be shared between the girls. Unfortunately, it was another drink. But in front of a live audience, you always have to look grateful for free alcohol.


I gave the margherita to the other girl and sat down at my table. My friends praised me for my gusto. I still felt depressed, especially since my pasta... didn't taste like pasta no more.


Half past midnight: It's a wrap!


It was a late evening that was well worth waiting for. I made new friends, caught up with old ones, ate great food and flashed my retarded mug on TV. All for the price of a glass of dirty orange juice. It was the deal of the decade.

All I gotta do now is make sure the kids don't play with the remote control when everyone is back at my aunt's place for Chinese New Year.

*Thanks to Zona for the invitation and Nazrul for the nonstop camera-clicking*

12 Comments:

Blogger Reta said...

oo oo looks like teh fun babe =)

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*^_^* cool entry, girl! glad u had fun!! next shoot days are--
Jan 16th ++ 6pm Girls' Nite Out with Juliana Ibrahim & Nell Ng;
8pm Valentine's special with Gavin Yap & Hannah Tan;
Jan 17th, & 23rd + guests still unconfirmed. spread the word!

RSVP me for a table and free food. ^_~

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, your show will air on Monday, Feb 6th, NTV7 @ 12.15am

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, can't wait to catch a glimpse ... missed the 1st one ...

Great entry together with great pics ...

:D

10:11 PM  
Blogger albert said...

Do you need more friends to join your table? :D Can you smuggle us in pleeease?

I wanna go for the one with Hannah Tan (and salivate over her instead of the food-that-shall-be-eaten-slowly.) I also got friends who go gaga over Gavin Yap but I dunno if there's enough space in, say, a surreptitious old schoolbag with wheels.

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaah...so this is what Zona Marie has been up to lately.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

albert: 25 pax per shoot session, first come first serve. we can fit from 2-6 people in each table. email me at //im @ midnitelily.com// to RSVP how many ppl and which shoot session.

zahrain: ?_?

6:40 PM  
Blogger Feather's Mother said...

That was harder than Fear Factor man! But sure looks more fun!

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zona...LICT? Taman Mayang? EDM? Adi? Interviewed? Budget? Drama Club?...naaah I dont think you remember me.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! New glasses?

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg!! adi!!! =D I remember!!! of course i don't remember "zahrain" without the adi in front +P heheh

7:38 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

cyber-red,
it was indeedy! :D

midnite lily,
man! i wanna see nell! thanks for letting me know... but i won't be able to make it for the entire month; my movie shoot is in the middle two weeks of january. but i'm sure you guys be will have fun, and that you'll do great ;)

p,
thanks, i wish for the opposite. :P

amakanchi,
yeah i know that one. but... too... many... oranges...

albert,
i knew you would love this prospect. have fun!

zahrain,
ah yes, that busy little wonderful bee.

the yoga instructor,
it was a challenge especially at such short notice. alas, the things i do in the name of entertainment.

ifran,
yeah, i bought a new pair this summer (the last one broke :P)

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home