Friday, December 22, 2006

Are you with us?

I've just been shortlisted for a Malaysian opinion writing competition.

I will never know the why, but I can bear enough responsibility to explain the how.

When I first came to know about the competition, I decided to give it a miss as I didn't think I had anything important to say. A few days before the deadline, the site ambled its way into my lunchtime browsing regime. At this time, the inspiration that was plucked from my trip to the Furry Friends Farm trip was still citrus fresh, and I figured I could try squeezing some juice out of that somehow. However, I was due to leave town the very next morning for the Ipoh leg of Broken Bridges. A raw idea, 10 hours... If I didn't act on it, I knew the lost chance would haunt me. So I went at it. I didn't have time to plan out a general sense of direction, so I wrote out my thoughts in random paragraphs and pieced it together in the most cohesive way possible, and emailed my submission by evening.

Three weeks later, I the following email.

"First of all, congratulations! Our editorial team here at theCICAK has selected your article as one of the top five pieces that we have received, so good work, and thumbs up! ...


Top F-... I beg your friggin' pardon?

... Our judging panel is currently in the process of looking at the top five entries to determine our grand prize winner, who will be announced on 12 Jan 2007.

As well, we're going to be collecting e-mail votes for each of our top five to determine our People's Choice Award, so be sure to tell your friends that you've been nominated. More details here:

http://www.thecicak.com/?page_id=166

Just to remind you that you're in the running for both the grand prize of RM500 in cash + a RM300 Borders electronic gift card, as well as for the People's Choice Award of RM300 in cash + a RM150 Borders electronic gift card. If you win either or both prizes, you'll also have your winning article published in theSun. Keep looking out for the results in early January!"

Enough information to induce a 15-minute round of uninterrupted blinking.

I honestly wasn't expecting anything out of this apart from the triumph of trying. I have no idea what theCICAK's editorial team saw in a neo-hippie rant, neither do I know if they are aware of how much it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst four other samples of how the brain of a Mensa member probably works. But it's a great honor and I'm chuffed all the same. It's also great to know that some people out there have something to say, and it still makes sense.

It's the first time my writing has ever been officially recognized for anything, but it's a feeling I might be able to get used to, and I'm gonna ride this wave as far as it takes me.

May the best article win, and Merry Christmas to all.

To read the shortlisted pieces and cast your votes, visit theCICAK's website.

7 Comments:

Blogger Inaesb said...

When you're talented, you're talented. :) Writing is just another of your many I suppose :)

Good luck!! May you, i mean the best, but of course you la, win the prize! :P Hehehe

10:05 PM  
Blogger ling said...

and i thought thecicak and davina goh is just a s'kali thing.. lol! ure bringing ur character into real life! ;)

2:22 AM  
Blogger albert said...

When you said "Mensa member" I half expected my link to appear. :D

7:36 AM  
Blogger sam said...

haha looks like you will be writing for thecicak like in Skali!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

I'm rooting for your article!

10:18 PM  
Blogger hellooo said...

Hi, my name is Sui Seng. I am a Malaysian, and at the age of 22, I’ve come to terms with the fact that I want to make a difference.

Can you show me how?

2:01 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

inaesb,
I'm taken aback by your blind faith, but thanks very much :)

ling,
i thought it would start and end at the film too, but i guess things just sorta came round!

albert,
dude, no need to boast here. :P

samira,
indeed, the Sze Huey in me beckons.

mohani,
thanks heaps for your support, very much appreciated.

sui seng,
i'm really glad for you. not sure if i'm the best person for it, but if anyone approaches me as such then i do try and offer as much sensible advice as i can. it all starts with a state of mind. you have to put enough trust in yourself to know your stand, no matter how much others may discourage you. your decision to act on something will then come naturally. and remember to balance out your passion/s with logical judgement. thanks and all the best in your future endeavours, i'm looking forward to hearing about them :)

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home